How to go from being a good employee to being a great one
What is the difference between someone that is a good worker and someone that is really great at their job? Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Inc. said, "Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work." Here are a few hints that will help you refocus your professional objectives and keep you on track to becoming the best employee you can be.
Hint no.1: Organise your life
The lines between work and life are blurred for many, especially in the sports industry. You should decide to embrace this fact and organise your life to create a blend of both. Work and life should be seen as cooperative rather than competitive with each other. The whole notion of needing to separate work and life implies that your career, which takes up about 75% of your day, is something you try to get through so you can go home and do what you really enjoy for the other 25%. There is no need to keep work life and home life separate; you just need to organize your life accordingly.
Hint no.2: Start thinking early
Whether it's a proposal to a sponsor or a meeting within your department, you will do better if you are prepared. Collect the facts; think the problem through days, if not weeks ahead of time. Having already thought about the topic being covered in a meeting will prepare you to utilize the time during the meeting more affectively. If you take necessary time to think clearly about a topic, when you get down to the real work it will be easier and more rewarding.
Hint no.3: Concentrate when you are there
People who are able to concentrate completely on the task at hand are great achievers, brilliant professionals, big business people, executives, and world leaders. Next time you are multitasking, think about how it might affect the quality of what you are delivering. For example, if you have a meeting around lunch time try to see if you can serve the lunch before or after the meeting. If the lunch is served during the meeting, ask for a short break so that you can concentrate on eating and then get back to concentrating 100% on the business at hand.
Hint no.4: Get things done
Don't let "analysis paralysis" keep you from getting things done. Thinking and planning are important - but the end goal is to show results and get something done. Don't let the process get in the way of results. To be a great employee you need to be able to deliver and show results.
Hint no.5: Be a team player
To become the best you can be you must be a team player. In order to do this you must work in a synergistic way where the sum is greater than the parts. When properly managed, teamwork maximizes strengths and brings out the best in each team member. These specific, unique individual strengths are then complimented by the strengths of the whole team. Are you contributing to your organisation reaching its true potential or could you work harder at being a team player?